(week 65) March 28 2013 Big Book Step Study Workshop
AA 12 & 12 page 133 Tradition One: “Our common welfare should come first;personal recovery depends upon A.A. unity.”
Draw a triangle over the word ‘our’ and write above it ‘spiritual we’. In the second sentence underline ‘the life-giving grace of God:
Without unity, the heart of AA would cease to beat, our world arteries would no long carry the life-giving grace of God.
Look up: common, welfare, unity, tradition, cherished, quality, should, altruism, aimlessly.
For next week: Continued … Write your Step One Surrender. We will share next week off recording, and when all are done, we will begin Step Two.
1. Is this the first time you have read the traditions?
a. If it is, how do you feel about studying them?
b. Do you think the traditions are important?
c. If it isn’t, how do you feel about spending workshop time studying them?
d. Where are the traditions in the hierarchy of importance?
2. What do traditions mean to you? Write out a tradition in your own personal life.
3. What does common welfare mean to you? How can you own our common welfare?
4. Write on your own experience in protecting or opposing the common welfare of the group.
5. What does unity mean to you?
6. Are you willing to be bold and speak up when someone is working against unity in your step one fellowship?
7. Do you really cherish this quality of unity within the group?
8. Do you know of a 12-step group that had to close? Did they do practices that were not in the common welfare for the unity of AA?
9. Do you believe that 12-step recovery fellowships carry the life-giving grace of God?
10. Can you imagine that people in their selfishness could actually be so selfish and not care about the common welfare that AA ceased to function?
Our live phone meetings are every Thursday at 8:00 AM EST. The phone number for these live meetings is (712) 775-7031, and the meeting ID number is 714744988#.
P O Box 531
North Pembroke MA 02358
You can listen to our recorded meetings at (641) 715-3900, pin 95666# for our Thursday Big Book Step Study workshop. You can also hear our Tuesday Big Book Study recordings at (641) 715-3900, pin 298913#. These meetings can be accessed at any time.