(week 74) 30 May 2013 Big Book Step Study Workshop
We Agnostics page 48 from 3rd paragraph: ‘The practical individual of today is a stickler for facts and results.’ until end of 2nd paragraph page 49 ‘Rather vain of us, wasn’t it?’
Look up the meaning of: unreasoning, prosaic, steel girder, assumption, laborious, vain.
Page 48: 2: You can substitute spirituality for electricity.
1a) If you cannot see, feel or use something are you the type of person who tends to discount it? Are you the type who will investigate or are you a person who will just accept it because someone you love, like or respect has embraced it? What type of person are you?
1b) Do you feel that that is the way God wants you to be?
1c) If you are not the person you want to be, how could you change?
2a) How is your outside appearance? How is your inside? Does your outside match your inside? If someone followed you around for a day, would they, because of your speech and actions, see a spiritual person?
2b) Do you judge by outward appearances or do you wait and get to know a person, a group, institution, a family etc., before making a judgment on whether or not you are going to have them in your life?
3. About God: are you prejudiced about the way certain people speak and act out their spirituality? Do you bristle when you are at a step one meeting and somebody talks with reverence and love about his or her Higher Power? Do you judge them or do you think they definitely have their act together? And if someone speaks about their Higher Power and you do not like it, are you willing to go up to that person and to get to know them?
4. Will you be willing this week to re-read pages 48 and 49 and really try to see how deep this example about spirituality is? [If you say no, that will be respected and if you say yes, you may be richly rewarded].
5. What do you think when you hear something (whether in your step one fellowship, at school, work or from your family members) that you believe shows the person has unreasoning prejudice and is talking from ignorance? Do you pray about it and say: ‘I feel strongly about this?’ Do you pray and say: ‘you know what, it’s not worth my time?’ And if it is not worth your time, will you pray about why not (e.g. is it your fear of confrontation, disagreeing with someone in authority, someone you don’t want to lose in your life, etc.)? If you think the person is wrong and you really don’t know, investigate why you would not do find out the answer and speak to him or her.
p. 49 line 7, underline: All Powerful, Guiding, Creative Intelligence
6. Do you have a Higher Power that is: a) All Powerful? b) You are willing to let guide you? c) Is a Creative Intelligence?
Write: No God, No Peace. Know God, Know Peace.
7. Write on this slogan. Does it make you bristle or do you think ‘I know that, but I’m not ready?’ How does it make you think and feel? Do you live that out?
‘Instead of regarding ourselves as intelligent agents, spearheads of God’s ever advancing Creation, we agnostics and atheists chose to believe that our human intelligence was the last word, the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end. Rather vain of us wasn’t it?’
8. Do you believe that? Why do you believe it will be alright? Do you still believe that if you do enough human actions, your best thinking can keep you sober? [It is very important to know where your starting point is].
Task for the week: Start each day with the Serenity Prayer adding: ‘Thy will not mine be done.’
9. How do you know what God’s will is?
Our live phone meetings are every Thursday at 8:00 AM EST. The phone number for these live meetings is (712) 775-7031, and the meeting ID number is 714744988#.
P O Box 531
North Pembroke MA 02358
You can listen to our recorded meetings at (641) 715-3900, pin 95666# for our Thursday Big Book Step Study workshop. You can also hear our Tuesday Big Book Study recordings at (641) 715-3900, pin 298913#. These meetings can be accessed at any time.