September 6, 2012 Big Book Book Step Study Workshop
There Is A Solution page 24 beginning of first paragraph:
‘The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure…’
Ending 3rd line page 25 ‘…So many want to stop but cannot.’
Underline: first line of page 25: ‘But for the Grace of God…’
Look up: non-existent.
1. We are unable at certain times to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.
Have you lost the power of choice in ‘your addictive substance/behavior’ in your life? Is there anything in your life you have lost the power of choice over? And what does that mean?
2 If you keeping sober your step one fellowship and are doing it with will power, write about this.
3. We are without defense against the first drink.
What does that imply with how we live our daily lives?
4. Today is fear or faith going on in your brain? Who’s winning? Is it the fear or the faith?
5. The alcoholic may say to himself in the most casual way, “It won’t burn me this time, so here’s how!” Or perhaps he doesn’t think at all. How often have some of us begun to drink in this nonchalant way, and after the third of fourth pounded on the bar and said to ourselves, “For God’s sake, how did I ever get started again?” Only to have that thought supplanted by “Well, I’ll stop with the sixth drink.” Or “What’s the use anyhow?”
Can you relate to this paragraph and translate it into your own life? What are you defenseless about today? If there is no issue in your life today that you are powerless over, then go back to your step one fellowship before you found recovery.
6. We identify, we never compare.
What does identify and not compare mean to you? How are you going to identify and not compare?
Our live phone meetings are every Tuesday at 8:00 AM EST. The phone number for these live meetings is (712) 775-7031, and the meeting ID number is 714744988#.
P O Box 531
North Pembroke MA 02358
You can listen to our recorded meetings at (641) 715-3900, pin 95666# for our Tuesday Big Book Step Study workshop. You can also hear our Thursday Big Book Study recordings at (641) 715-3900, pin 298913#. These meetings can be accessed at any time.