(25) 21 June 2012 Big Book Step Study Workshop
From page 15 Bill’s Story start of first paragraph: ‘My wife and I abandoned ourselves with enthusiasm…’ Until end of second sentence, second paragraph:
‘The joy of living we really have, even under pressure and difficulty.’
Look up: laurels, fellowship
Write on helping newcomers: You first help them get the poison out of their bodies. Take them to whatever meeting is appropriate so they can get a fellowship, more than just you. Make sure you have extra Big Books and give them one (that’s where you put your financial help). Say to them: ‘I have your alcohol problem and this is my answer to your problem. I read this book, going to give it to you as a gift, put my phone number in it, and will help you read this book until it makes sense to you.’
1. If you are married are you in a team relationship around your recovery?
2. Have you abandoned yourself to God to do God’s will in all areas of your life?
2a. Have you abandoned yourself to do God’s will when helping a newcomer whom you don’t want to have anything to do with?
3. What was Bill talking about when he said ‘I abandoned myself with enthusiasm to the idea of helping other alcoholics to a solution to their problems?’
4. Looking at the past, can you relate to people not trusting you, wanting to hire you, be in relationship with you or have you around?
Can you relate to not being physically well?
And can you relate to being plagued with self-pity and resentment?
4a. Bringing it up to the present: are people still sceptical of you? How is your physical health? If you are not well, can you see any reason for this? Is it a throwback from before you were in recovery or you are in recovery and you have picked up another unhealthy habit that needs to be addressed?
4b. Are you plagued by self-pity and resentment?
5. Get a God jar, can, bag or box. This week Thursday-Thursday whenever you find yourself in self-pity, resentful or emotionally upset, put it in the God jar. Practice letting things go: trusting and relying on God.
6. Today 21st June 2012, what does ‘Trusting and relying on God’ mean to you?
7. Write about your fellowship that is around you. If you had a rough spot who you would go to? Do you feel it is wonderful?
Our live phone meetings are every Thursday at 8:00 AM EST. The phone number for these live meetings is (712) 775-7031, and the meeting ID number is 714744988#.
P O Box 531
North Pembroke MA 02358
You can listen to our recorded meetings at (641) 715-3900, pin 95666# for our Thursday Big Book Step Study workshop. You can also hear our Tuesday Big Book Study recordings at (641) 715-3900, pin 298913#. These meetings can be accessed at any time.