Started page 10 of Bill’s Story middle of 2nd paragraph: ‘…of some church folk and their doings…’ until end of final paragraph page 11 ‘…He shouted great tidings.’
Page 53: ‘God is everything and God is nothing.’
After the recording ended Stephanie wanted this to be shared with the group:
This process is to help us to keep practicing turning to God. This week’s questions are deliberately hard so that we will get to practice turning to God. And through steps one, twoand three we will have that experience behind us when we do the even harder questions in the fourth step. It is also why we need a group and our buddies to help us go through these questions and to go to God.
The big Book gives us a promise: more will be revealed. That’s why Stephanie is so opposed to telling people what they should believe. She will share her experience, strength, and hope (ESH). Share with them what she knows and then let them go and find it out for themselves. She does not want us to take as gospel what she says. She wants us to investigate it (ignorance is prejudice prior to investigation). She does not want us to own her ESH but to own our own. She is here as our sponsor to help all of us open up any prejudice and see it in a different light. (Similarly Ebby helped Bill to open up and have a new way of thinking, but Bill had to be willing to investigate this thinking for himself).
We are spiritual beings having a human experience. If I am a spiritual being then everything I do as a human being is a gift from God.
look up: atheist, agnostic, contempt, tidings, goodwill.
1. Do you have a resentment against organized religion? And if so why and how did it come about?
2a. Does that affect your concept of a Higher Power?
2b. Does that effect your trusting and relying on a Higher Power?
3. Think about your prejudices and where they came from. Do they well up from the past? Do you have negative experiences? As a child did you ask God for help and turn way in resentment when your prayers were not answered? When Stephanie talks about a Higher Power do those same prejudices well up from your past and make you swallow hard?
4. Do you become irritated when you hear talk of a God personal to you, is a God of love, has superhuman strength and willing to give you directions? Does your mind snap shut against such a theory of a personal HP?
5. Do you have any power in you to overcome your addiction?
Started last sentence on page 9 ‘He had come to pass his experience onto me…’
ended page 10 end (?) of 2nd paragraph ‘…They made me swallow hard.’
look up: proffered, temperance pledge, contempt
Write on new page the Big Book quote: ‘God is everything or God is nothing.’
1. Stephanie asks: How are you living that out today? Are you making your sponsor God?
Are you making your parents, child, spouse or 12 step fellowship God?
2a. There are two entities: the giver and the receiver.
Write on your understanding of what the two are.
2b. Write on your experience of being a giver in your 12 step recovery fellowship and of your experience of being a receiver.
3. ‘But for the grace of God’…’I was interested.’
How do these two sentiments parallel one other?
4a. Do you have prejudice against things of religion and church folk?
4b. Has this affected your ability to have a concept of a higher power?
Soul Work: Chapter 1 Bills Story; Pages 7 paragraph 3 thru page 9 last paragraph,
Words: delirium tremors, wet brain, obstacles, insidious, resigned, debauch, catapulted, oasis, jag, futility, inexplicably different, ranting
1) What was or is a physical consequence of addiction?
Write on the consequences you had before recovery and those that are still with you today.
2) Do you think you can proceed in recovery by yourself? What is your ability to surpass obstacles? Why do you believe or why do you not believe that?
3) We have 4 dimensions: physical, emotional intellectual and spiritual. This is called the Mind and Body Connection. What connects us is the spiritual.
Write on your understanding of this.
4) Write on what did you use as an oasis in your active days and what do you use today?
5) Look up Ebby Thatcher, read his story
Bill Story: from page 5, beginning of 2nd para: ‘Gradually things got worse…’
until end of 2nd para. page 7: ‘Surely this was the answer – self-knowledge.’
Words: prodigious, oblivion, confidence, cock-sureness
1. Where are you when something happens to rock your world? What mode do you go into? Is your glass half full or half empty?
Do things gradually get worse or can you feel your feelings, go to God and ask ‘how can I turn this around?’
2. Write about what happened when you woke up; when you got self-awareness and self-knowledge and realized that you had to stop (your addiction). What happened after that?
3.’My mind is weaker than the disease. When I align my mind with a Higher Power it becomes stronger than the disease/addiction.’
Write on the times that you tried to overcome your addiction without aligning your mind with God and the times when you did align with God.
4. Write about being in recovery, taking the first bite/sip of alcohol and having that nanosecond when you knew that it was not a good idea and, with the help of God, you pulled yourself away. If you have not had that experience, e.g. accidentally picked up the wrong glass at a wedding, write out an action plan of what you would do?
5. Write on self-knowledge. Is it the answer? Has it been your answer with your addiction and other areas of your life?
6. Read pages 6 and 7, look for Bill’s feelings and identify with them.
Stephanie’s e-mail: Stephaniew324@gmail.com
Feel free to e-mail any questions or concerns to Stephanie and she will get back to you within a couple of days.
Our live phone meetings are every Tuesday at 8:00 AM EST. The phone number for these live meetings is (712) 775-7031, and the meeting ID number is 714744988#.
P O Box 531
North Pembroke MA 02358
You can listen to our recorded meetings at (641) 715-3900, pin 95666# for our Tuesday Big Book Step Study workshop. You can also hear our Thursday Big Book Study recordings at (641) 715-3900, pin 298913#. These meetings can be accessed at any time.