(week 58) 7 February 2013 Big Book Step Study Workshop
AA 12 x 12 Step One page 21 from beginning of of third paragraph:
‘But upon entering AA we soon take quite another view of this absolute humiliation.’ ending on top of page 22 ‘…complete defeat is the main
taproot from which our whole society has sprung and flowered.’
If you do not already have a copy, buy the AA 12 x 12.
Look up: unmanageable, disciplined, devastating, weakness, consequences, precarious, facts and taproot.
1. Think about and jot down what it means to take a public surrender i.e. with the entire workshop group. [One Thursday (off the recording) will be devoted to this with everybody that comes live surrendering. All others will be able to e-mail Stephanie and she can e-mail or call you back].
2 Sit in meditation and ask God to show you where you are (and where you have been) unmanageable and really get real with yourself about areas of unmanageability.
3.Notice that step one starts with ‘We’ admitted.
Take the ‘we’ and put the triangle on it and fill in what Stephanie gave us when we first started. Write on the spiritual ‘we’ a year later.
4. Write on: ‘How my particular disciplines are God honoring today’.
5a. When you were active what was one of the most humiliating situations you had and did that bring utter defeat?
b) Or did you go on and have more and more humiliating situations?
c) Are you willing to share this situation of humiliation from the podium?
6. How did you find recovery? Was it on the computer, did you know somebody, etc.?
[Get your story distinct so it can be tight when asked to speak. i.e. What it was like, how you found recovery and what it is like today. The latter part needs to be the heavy lifting in your story].
7. Did you join any recovery fellowship(s) and not put down your substance? What was your experience?
[If you can relate to Stephanie’s 24 years in food recovery fellowships before she could put down the food, write on that. If not, leave this question].
The principle that we shall find no enduring strength until we first admit complete defeat is the man taproot from which our whole society has sprung and flowered.
8. What does ‘no enduring strength’ mean to you personally?
9. What do you mean when you say to someone, ‘I will walk beside you’?
Our live phone meetings are every Thursday at 8:00 AM EST. The phone number for these live meetings is (712) 775-7031, and the meeting ID number is 714744988#.
P O Box 531
North Pembroke MA 02358
You can listen to our recorded meetings at (641) 715-3900, pin 95666# for our Thursday Big Book Step Study workshop. You can also hear our Tuesday Big Book Study recordings at (641) 715-3900, pin 298913#. These meetings can be accessed at any time.